Thursday, February 11, 2010

Love a Pet

Because it's almost Valentine's day, the animal shelter came to our school to give a special assembly on pet care. We learned about poor dogs that get abandoned when their owner moves. We learned about how no one wants an adult cat, just kittens, and how they wished they had nice homes for pregnant females. We learned that absolutely no one wants a adult male cat, because if he is neutered as an adult, he will still spray, yowl, and prowl. We all took the pet care pledge. It goes like this:

I, ______________, to take care of my pet(s) __________ __________________. I will get them spayed or neutered, and I will give them fresh food and water in a clean dish every day. I promise to never abandon them.

This pledge was slightly problematic for me. I didn't know how I could fit the words goat, geese, dog, fish, and turtle in the space allowed, much less Mary, Lacy, Marshmallow, Blackie, Forty-Niner, and Shimmer. Also, I didn't know if you even could spay or neuter a fish or a turtle. I don't even know wether Shimmer or Forty-Niner is a boy or a girl. There is no reason whatsoever for me to spay my geese, and it is just plain stupid to think I am going to spay Mary-- I want her to have a kid so I can milk her. In fact, Blackie is the only one of my pets that is spayed. I would really like to adopt a pregnant cat so she wouldn't have to have her kittens in the animal shelter. It would be fun.