Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Buster

Today, when I got on the bus to go to school, I felt grumpy. Allie and Sophie weren't on the bus. I started to shove my backpack under the seat in front of me. Mreerer! I heard. I know that sound, I thought, it's an annoyed cat! I looked under the seat, and a tiny brown kitten was there. He is really cute! I pulled him out. "Gosh," I said. Madison looked over the back of my seat. "Ms. Smith! Ms. Smith! Joan found a kitten under a seat!" she shouted to our bus aide. "What?" Ms. Smith asked. "I did. I found him under the seat in front of me," I replied, holding him up. "Here," said Ms. Smith, passing back a lunch box from the lost-and-found box, "You can keep him in there until we get to the school."

At school, I took the kitten, who I had named Buster, into the principal's office. We settled on an agreement. I could keep the kitten in the janitor room as long as I would clean up after it and feed it. And if no one came to pick it up by friday, it would have to go to the shelter. Mom came and picked me up after school and brought some kitten chow. I took and old cardboard box and filled it with sand from the playground to make a litter box. A photographer for the newspaper was there to take pictures of the 1st grade outdoor clean up day, and she took a picture of Buster. I hope Buster won't have to go to the shelter.