Monday, June 27, 2011

The Garden

Did I mention that we have a huge garden? Mom planted most of it while I was still in school. Now, we have more vegetables than we can eat. We have: 25 huge zucchini (I told Mom not to keep five plants!), 3 pea plants, 2 cucumber plants, 5 tomato plants (each with several enormous tomatoes), as well as cherry tomato plants, 6 huge heads of lettuce, 2 broccoli plants, 6 heads of cabbage, and a few strawberry plants, plus more onions, carrots, and potatoes than we can count, not to mention herbs. Today ALONE I picked 6 zucchini, a bucket full of peas, 7 tomatoes, 3 cucumbers, a head of cabbage, a bowl of strawberries, and I thinned out large heaps of little onions and carrots. I took large baskets of veggies to the neighbors. We're swamped in vegetables. However, Mom keeps up her "isn't it wonderful to have fresh vegetables" attitude. I don't know how she does it. For dessert tonight: zucchini drop cookies.